“Of course, the aesthetic of Lithoverde® is important but also its eco-friendly aspect is something I hold very dear"
The Chilterns is a stunning luxury residential development in central London’s upmarket Marylebone area. The award-winning architect Rabih Hage oversaw the interior design of all 44 apartments and selected our Lithoverde® in Pietra d’Avola for the bathrooms. When we asked him why he chose this particular material he was very clear: “Of course, the aesthetic of Lithoverde® is important but also its eco-friendly aspect is something I hold very dear. To think that something as beautiful as natural stone could be just thrown away because it is classed as an offcut is truly sad, but with Lithoverde® it is not only reborn but becomes an object of luxury. It also meets today’s trend of “upcycling” which is becoming increasingly prevalent”.
Opened in late 2016, The Chilterns has become one of London’s most sought after addresses. Just a stroll away from the green oasis of Regents Park and the buzz of the West End, Marylebone is a tiny village in the midst of the city and home to charming boutiques, cosy cafés and must-visit restaurants such as the Chiltern Firehouse and one of London’s most talked about culinary newcomers, Fucina.
Lithoverde® is an award-winning material created by Salvatori in 2010 and is 99% made of recycled stone with the remaining 1% being a natural resin which acts as a binder. Perhaps the words of Rabih Hage best describe it: “It’s the craftsmanship involved in creating Lithoverde which gives it its true value: it gains a noble beauty because you spend time on it, giving it a new life instead of simply discarding it”.
DESIGNER: Rabih Hage